Saturday, April 4, 2009

Artist Statement




Here's what I'm thinking so far on how I want my artist statement to go:


Inspiration for me comes straight from the heart. I'm most inspired by emotions that I feel at certain times. Foremost, I'm a hopeless romantic and fuel my art on different forms of love, therefore I'm inspired by friends and family (including my cats). I have really strong friendships and a loving boyfriend.
Fueled by my emotions that I receive from my daily life from happiness to sadness, I get inspired by music and television. I'm a movie addict which makes me feel connected to the types of films I'm watching which pours through in the art that I make. My favorite types of movies are comedies and also the mythical, fantasy type genre such as the movie The Dark Crystal.
I feel myself favoring colors like purples, blues, and greens which feel very mythical and magical to me. For example, I've been a fan of Amy Brown who watercolors hundreds of fairies and dragons, among other creatures in her artwork.
Different eras in history also inspire me, from clothing, hair, make-up. I really love the Renaissance, knights and princesses, and the 60s, 70s, and 80s. I feel like different periods of history present certain moods and tones to a piece.
As far as music goes I become very inspired while listening to The Beatles. They hold so many different meanings and emotions for everyone. For me, their music makes me feel like I can do anything. On the other hand, I like heavy metal and rock and that music can produce different emotions in me that affect my work.
All of these factors affect all aspects of my art, from photos and drawings, to my jewelry and collage. I want people to feel something when they view my art. I think I make my art to look pretty, I always want it to hold some sort of beauty to it.

Let me know what you guys think. Should it be more structured as far as an introduction and conclusion, like an essay? I have a lot more examples as far as different music, movies, and artists that I like, should I include more?

No comments:

Post a Comment